Using Stockist with the Langify app
Stockist can work with the Langify app on Shopify. This article contains instructions for setting up translated versions of your locator using Stockist and the Langify app.
Update as of May 2021: Stockist is now directly compatible with Shopify's new multi-lingual capabilities, so setup through Langify is no long required. We have more details in this article.
Translating your Stockist Store Locator using Langify
Due to the way Langify works, it's not able to translate the text that appears within your store locator. This means that the text in your store locator will always be the same, regardless of the language setting on your site.
If you'd like to translate the text in your store locator, you can follow the steps below. You'll need to create a separate translation in Stockist for each language, and then configure Langify to use a different language-specific version of your Stockist embed code on the page depending on your site's language setting.
Set up your translations
Stockist supports creating multiple translations of the app's messages in a single account. To set up multiple translations, log into your account, click Settings in the left menu, then open the Text & translations page to set up translations for each language:
Configure Langify to switch Stockist accounts depending on language
Once you have your Stockist account set up with the correct translations and store details, you're ready to set up Langify to display a different translation depending on the language used by each visitor:
- Copy your store locator code
- Log into your Stockist account
- Click Get embed code in the left menu of the Stockist app dashboard
- Select the appropriate language from the drop-down above the embed code:
- Once the correct language is chosen, select all of the HTML code in the grey box, right-click, and select Copy.
- Insert the code into Langify
- Open the Langify app dashboard for your shop
- In the Langify app header, choose the language corresponding to the Stockist account that you've just copied the embed code from
- Choose Pages in the left menu
- Open the Store Locator page (Note: it may be named differently if you've changed the page name in Shopify)
- On the right-hand (Translation) side, in the Description textbox, click "<>" (HTML view)
- Clear any content in the textbox, then paste in the embed code from step 1(b)
- If you'd like to translate the title or description of the page, do so now (before saving)
- Click Save only once.
- Repeat steps 1-2 for for each language
Important: Due to a bug in Langify, clicking Save (in step 2) more than once will break the locator's embed code and prevent the Stockist app from loading on the page correctly. If this happens, just repeat steps 1-2 above to fix the issue.
Once each language has been set up, switching the language selector on your site should correctly switch the language in your store locator.
If you run into any trouble, we're here to help! Just click Contact Us at the top of this page.